Wednesday, March 28, 2012

268/366: Security

Very Often.
Security is something tangible.

The subtle click.
Of the lock on our front door.

The distinctive beep.
From the button on our key chain.
When walking away from our car.

I've never given.
Too much thought.
To the other types of security.

The "secure check out" symbol.
On a website shopping cart.
The pin on your ATM card.
The endless passcode questions.
For your bank.
Your email.
You phone.

Then tonight.
I had all of that security.
Thrown right in my face.

My debit card got declined.
Odd.
I checked out with an alternate payment.
Found the nearest seat.
Logged into my bank account.
From my phone.
And was throroughly shocked.

Someone.
Had drained my account.
At Wal-Mart and Forever 21.
In two different states.
While I was at work.

I was so mad!
Enraged!
Shaking!
Sad!
Frustrated!
Completely vulnerable.

So the bank will fix me up.
In the end.
All will be right.
In my world.
Yet, something has completely changed.

That, "It will never happen to me."
Sense of total security.
Is gone.
That makes me really sad.
Probably wiser.
But still sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment