Thursday, November 24, 2011

144/366: Tradition

For me.
The beauty of holidays.
Is rooted in tradition.


Thanksgiving is about family.
Friends.
Life.
Parades.
Turkey.
Pie.
Shopping.
The start of the holiday season.
It is many things.
Held dear in my heart.


As a child.
One of the many things I loved about Thanksgiving.
Was the anticipation.
Of the Thanksgiving day paper.
Stuffed with glossy colorful ads.


Before the years.
Of the Toys R Us annual toy book.
The Thanksgiving Day ads.
Were our annual toy book.


As soon as the dishes.
Were cleared from the table.
Grandma would hand each of us.
A paper.
A pencil.
The ads.
We would browse.
Meticulously creating detailed lists.
Of what Santa should bring.


As the years went on.
Kids became adults.
We would all scatter.
Across the Grandma's living room floor.
Passing ads across the room.
Pointing out good deals.
Sometimes making 5am shopping dates.


Today was the first Thanksgiving.
I have ever spent away from home.
With adulthood and marriage.
Come change.
The inevitable.


Today.
I spent a wonderful.
Memorable.
Relaxing day.
With my new in laws.
My first Thanksgiving.
As a wife and a daughter in law.
I loved every minute of it.


And I won't lie.
My heart gave a little kick.
My lips spread wide in a grin.
When I saw the huge newspaper.
Stuffed with ads.
Ready for browsing.




No comments:

Post a Comment