Friday, August 5, 2011

33/366: Put a Bird on It

When I was preparing to move to California.
I frequently pondered how best to merge my stuff.
With my future husband's.  
On a random shopping trip.
I came across a pillow.  
That perfectly blended my favorite sheets.
With my love's manly comforter.
Genius!
A pillow to tie it all together.
Not just any pillow though.
This one had two doves on it.
No man is going to put that pillow on his bed.
Said my brother.
But of course he would.
Said I.
Doves mate for life.
He will understand the significance.
I packed the dove pillow in the car.
It drove cross country with us.
I proudly placed it on our bed.
Doves mate for life.
I said.
He just looked at me and smiled.
After a month or so of blissful cohabitation.
I realized that every time he made the bed.
He put he pillow backwards.
So the paisley pattern faced the world.
And my poor little love doves were suffocated.
Into our ocean of pillows.
Hidden from the world.
I accused him of hating the doves.
I am a guy.
He said.
The dove pillow resides in the closet now.
I use it for the guest bed when we have company.

1 comment:

  1. tell him we have birds all over our house and on our pillow and my hubs love it!!! we have bird cages every and My hubs is as manly as they come

    ReplyDelete