Monday, August 22, 2011

50/366: Old Paint

Once upon a time.
What seems like a lifetime ago.
I was a single girl.
With an affinity for anything.
Everything.
Shabby chic.


If it was old.
And the paint was peeling.
I'd sand it a bit.
Seal it.
And make it furniture.


Eventually my style changed.
Evolved.
And then I moved in with my husband.
Who also loves all things old.
Antique... but not shabby chic.


So while our home is bursting.
With the old.
Previously loved.
Vintage.
Few things remain of those days.
When my home was filled with items.
Covered in old peeling paint.


This is one that I have kept with me.
It's now a catchall.
In our kitchen.
On any given day.
It houses gum.
Keys.
Pens.
Coupons.
Candy.


Yet it remains as it was when I found it.
Old and peeling.
And a reminder of a young girl.
On her own for the first time.
Decorating her first place.
Her way.


No comments:

Post a Comment