Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 7/366: Fruit

This morning, as I was heading out to spend the day with my husband, I packed a quick bag and threw in some cherries.  I knew I was going to need to snap a few pics of some kind of fruit and let's face it... Cherries. Are. Yummy.   Bonus!


On a whim, I grabbed a bright bowl and some snazzy dishtowels we received as wedding presents.  After another moment of consideration, I added a pretty worn tablecloth and an old metal colander.  Both of which I love.  Both of which were given to me by my Grandmother.


Bag packed, I hopped in the car and without warning started telling my husband how, in the blink of an eye, a few pictures of cherries morphed into a post about my Grandma.  I don't know that I had even fully formed the idea in my head at that point.  I just knew that this one... is for my Grams.


I don't know how I can sift through a lifetime of memories to fully describe what an amazing lady I'm talking about here.  She is kind, thoughtful, hysterically funny, resourceful, strong, beautiful, genuine, a bit ornery, and does an awesome Harry Caray impersonation.  She can grow anything and there are few, in my mind, that can rival her cooking. She is classic in every sense of the word.


She is love and comfort and strength.


I hope one day to be the mother, grandmother, friend, spouse, partner, woman she is.


When I moved into my first apartment, my Grandparents gave me all kinds of hand me downs.  The colander and tablecloth are among those still on my shelves.  I use them lovingly. I don't know if they were old things that my Grandma knew I would like or if they were garage sale finds fit for a girl eager to make her first place her own.  I do know that regardless of the origin, they were perfect for me and have traveled from city to city and eventually across the country.  They now sit in the cabinets of the first home I share with my husband.  I can't pull them from the shelf without thinking of Grandma.  They will continue to follow us wherever our lives take us.  Someday, I'll give them to someone who will love and appreciate them as much as I do.  Someone that will know that they were given to me by my Grandmother.


An amazing firecracker of a lady with a heart as big as they come and a laugh that makes me grin.  



No comments:

Post a Comment